Sunday, April 13, 2008

Political Tangents

AITOOW gets nauseous when a politician, official, or politico deviates or leads into a question asked with a scripted paragraph reiterating a talking point or opinion that has nothing to do with the question. For example: What do you think about X? Answer: Well given this administration handling of X, Y, Z (totally unrelated.... OR well X (not the subject of the initial question) believes in X, Y, and Z (totally unrelated)... I mean do they think it's even effective? I know that there is sentiment for a thing called traction through repetion, but, I believe it's another rule of thumb with no scientific substantiation. I thought this field was called Political Science. I think there is relatively little science behind it. It's just another aspect of 18th century methodolgy in our "modern" world - conclusions drawn from relatively little personal experience. It's caused by our brief time on this planet. We have a relatively small sample of data to draw our conclusions and often over value their effects. For example - I was hurt be X type of person once or twice so all those types of people (millions) will treat me similiarly. I suppose it's understandable considering the type of person that permeates this field. Engineers and mathemeticians usually concern themselves with more important issues and that pretty much exhausts our supply of big thinkers. It's our loss that they don't have time for the petty issues that end up affecting us the greatest amount of the time.

No comments: